Sunday, June 8, 2008

Recycle, doing my part.


I called this recycle because I purchased something at Starbucks today. No, I am not affiliated to, work for or promote Starbucks. I don't think that a multi-billion dollar company needs this blogger's help.

But why am I posting about this? Well, let us say that Starbucks sells 1,000,000 plastic cubs of Iced Mocha. Now, let us put those 1 million cups in a land fill. Plastics can take thousands of years to break down but are not biodegradable. If they are, please direct me to the site that says so. Starbucks is the #1 coffee supplier, at least to my taste buds and the taste buds of my co-workers, that is about 400 of us. So you can imagine the unsurmountable amount of plastics that go into our land fills. Now, the 1 million cup number is for the United States. Starbucks is a worldwide company, imagine the numbers now.

So, if you have read my posts on this blog, you can deduct that I am about conservation and saving our earth. So I bought this hard plastic cup at Starbucks today. I have actually been looking for a cup like this since purchasing my hot coffee one months ago. What do I like about this cup? I can use it over, over, over and over again. There is no damaging the environment, other than the production of the cup, every time I go buy a Grande Iced Skinny Mocha.

So, what are you doing to help out? It may not seem like much, but every bit counts. A cup a day, keeps the landfill a little emptier. Let me know what you are doing to help out mother nature. As you know, we Americans are the most wasteful people on earth.

No comments: